- 500g Spaghetti (Fusili).
- 80-100ml Italian Olive Oil, enough to saute the garlic and chillies.
- 6 cloves Garlic, finely chopped (more or less to your desire).
- 6 Red Birdseye Chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (more or less to your desire).
- Salt, to taste.
- Hot Chilli Flakes, a few dashes to your desire.
- ½ cup – roughly chopped Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, optional.
- Freshly grated/shredded Parmesan, as much as you like or omit.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions. Remove from the heat and drain the pasta, leaving about 100-125ml of pasta liquid behind.
- When the pasta is almost ready (about 5 minutes before the stipulated time on package), heat 80ml of olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the garlic, birdeye’s chillies and later the hot chilli flakes.
- When the garlic and chillies mixture are fragrant, add the pasta and liquid into the pan.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat and add parsley, if using, and a little more olive oil, if necessary.
- Keep tossing the pasta. The pasta water and oil will emulsify and coat the spaghetti.
- Adjust salt to taste and sprinkle with parmesan and more chilli flakes before serving.