Smoked Duck Breast Whilst @ Sugar: The Bitter Truth

I was on my Facebook when an interesting topic was being discussed.

Mean sodium content of Singapore food groups.

Mean sodium content of Singapore food groups.
Photo taken from Kf Seetoh’s post.

Kf Seetoh, founder of Makansutra, acerbically commented,

“Quick, rush out and start eating hamburgers, fried chicken and pizzas y’all. Health authorities here sez (says) it’s healthier than hawker food at recent health makan (food) seminar. And have a healthy vegetarian krispy kreme for dessert while at it.”

In the thread of comments that followed, Allan Teo contributed,

“High Fructose Corn Syrup accelerates all kinds of disease. It is added in all western fast food. Currently it has been identified that this is much much more worst than sodium. I reccommend this video explanation.”

I found the recorded seminar by Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, to be educating and I hope you find it at least interesting if otherwise.

A calorie is not a calorie! – Dr. Lustig

This video lectures on sugar (particularly fructose) and the harm it can do to our body.

The following video is nearly an hour and a half, and lazy ones can skip to 1:25:40 for the summary. But I sincerely hope you can watch the whole vid as Dr. Lustig is quite witty in his delivery. Enjoy!

P.S. Because the video was more than an hour, I thought I’ll have some snack while I’m at it. Now the question weighing on my mind, “Is smoked duck breast safe?”

Smoked Duck Breast.<br />Don't worry, I only had 3 pieces ;-) Or is 3 pieces already over the limit by health standards?

Smoked Duck Breast.
Don’t worry, I only had 3 pieces 😉
Or is 3 pieces already over the limit by health board’s standard?

I just found a recipe that looked amazing and of course I haven't tried it before (just found rmbr?). If you are keen, click on this photo to be redirected to the website for recipe.

I just found a recipe that looked amazing and of course I haven’t tried it before (just found rmbr?).

Have a healthy Sunday!

Happy learning 😀

Comments
8 Responses to “Smoked Duck Breast Whilst @ Sugar: The Bitter Truth”
  1. Lignum Draco says:

No wonder you don’t seem to be putting on any weight despite your 20 courses per day. 🙂

2. BG says:

Thanks for the video/lecture. I watched it in 2 sittings, I got bored when he goes in the chemistry. Good stuff. “1 can of coke = 1 can of Budwieser”. I did not know that it is that bad. From now on, if I have to drink Coke, I will stick to Diet Coke. HFCS = Etanol, it is a toxin, that is a powerful message.

Glad you enjoyed it, BG! Fruit juice is different from eating fruits also. I’m learning too 😀

• BG says:

I tried kopi-O kosong as you mentioned. It is so miserable. I guess sometimes we have let go a little bit and I will have to stick to my regular kopi-C “siew-tai”.

It was very yucky when I first tried it. Time goes by and I still don’t like it. But when I switch back to drinking with sugar, I found it too sweet. I’m drinking mostly with milk now but no sugar (but my espresso is kopi O kosong) 😀

3. drunk ninja says:

the last photo looks tantalizing lol…

i don’t believe this, last I heard and saw, it’s the americans that are overweight haha we love hawker food here (actually one of my favourite malay take out joints is called hawkers… what does it mean? I thought it just meant street food in general)

Yes Mo, hawkers were hawking in streets in the 60s and 70s but thereafter, they were shifted in food centres in Sg but you will still find street vendors in Malaysia.