There Is Order In Chaos

Bangkok with a population of over 8 million (12.6% of Thailand’s total population) is among the world’s top tourist destinations. It is named the most visited city in MasterCard’s Global Destination Cities Index, and has been named “World’s Best City” for 4 consecutive years by Travel + Leisure magazine.

There are modern enterprises appearing alongside the city’s traditional culture but nobody seemed to mind. Sophisticated city dwellers and agricultural peasants coexist quite peacefully. The iconic Grand Palace and historic Buddhist temples including Wat Arun and Wat Pho stand in contrast with other tourist attractions such as the nightlife scenes of Khaosan Road and Patpong. Bangkok’s dynamic street life and cultural landmarks have given it an exotic appeal. However, it can be daunting for young ladies traveling singly or in small groups in the notorious red-light districts. I was overwhelmed by the kaleidoscope of activities when I first visited the city in 1986. The traffic conditions were tumultuous and street touting was unrestrained. I had wondered if I should bring my DSLR or the Fuji X 100s on this trip, would it be too flamboyant thus making my friends and I a target for unwelcome attention… Keep calm and carry on; there is order in chaos.  As long as basic instinct and vigilance are employed (that goes for any country even in one’s own), Bangkok is truly a “Land of 1000 Smiles“!

Chinatown, Bangkok, is a popular tourist attraction. It is a food haven for enthusiastic gourmands, like me, who flock here after sundown to explore the vibrant street cuisine.

After our dinner at T&K Seafood, we saw a gathering of people across the road. The street vendor told us those people were queueing to buy desserts.

We saw a gathering of people across the road. The street vendor informed us those people were queueing to buy desserts.

The night was young after our T&K Seafood dinner. And this being our last in Bangkok, I was unwillingly to sleep early. “We’ll get some desserts and more street food. We’ll chat till the break of dawn. Heck! We’ll even watch some Thai TV programmes should we run out of gossips…”, I pleaded.

Click on pictures:

Chilling!<br />(pun intended)<br />Photographers are violent people.<br />First they frame you,<br />then they shoot you,  and finally, they hang you on the wall!

Chilling!
(pun intended)
Photographers are violent people.
First they frame you,
then they shoot you,
and finally, they hang you on the wall!

This man was shot by me on the day I arrived in Bangkok, from inside a mooooving van on the way to the hotel. As a newbie photographer, I did not frame him well so I had to crop him. I hanged him on my facebook wall afterwards. Do I sound dangerous to you? Lol… 😉

Chinatown, Bangkok
Phadung Dao,
Yaowarat Rd, Bangkok 10100,
Thailand.
Go after 3pm, that’s when most action begins.

Happy eating 😀

Comments
19 Responses to “There Is Order In Chaos”
  1. Lignum Draco says:

Very interesting post. And some wonderful photography Sam.

Thank you Draco, I’m encouraged to continue to shoot, lol… I want to try street portraits, nothing fancy, to just try capture the moods of the hawkers and diners. 😀

2. Janet Rörschåch says:

Sam! I think you would be a fun traveling companion. You and your friends see everything. And you stop for dessert! 😀

That shot of the guy seems wonderful. I don’t understand what you mean by framing it well. Personally I think it’s wonderful, but you’ve seen my photos….LOL!

Hope you have safe travels.

Hi Janet, you’ve been busy with your RND? How are you getting on with your business adventure? The guy looked better after cropping out but still lack clarity. Your pictures are great! btw, some of the photos (the fruits) were all taken with the Fuji X 100s, the camera you’re contemplating to get. Travel or not, I’m fun (or a retard) after a few drinks, lol…

• Janet Rörschåch says:

Well, cheers, m’dear, or would it be bottoms up? What is the toast in your neck of the woods?

Business has been difficult. There are a lot of chefs out there in Boulder, all doing what I am trying to do. C’est la guerre. Luckily I just picked up a job teaching other people how to cook. That keeps the money coming in. Money is always helpful when rent is do and the tummy growls.

Habe a beautiful week. Keep traveling. You are taking such wonderful photos. I feel like I am right in pocket.

Sorry to hear that Janet but preserverance will count. Keep doing what you do (they are all wonderful stuff)! I wish you all the best because I know you’ve put in all your best. There may be a lot of chefs out there but their attitude may be different. I know you’re passionate and serious. That’s the magic that makes or breaks 😀 I’m rooting for you!

3. Laura Lynn says:

Wow, that looks like a wonderful trip you are having. So much colour and excitement, I wouldn’t want to go back to the hotel either! The shots of the mangos had my mouth watering. Mangos are my favorite fruit. Usually by the time we get them here they aren’t so fresh and delicious. And the grilled squid looked delicious, too. oohh…so early in the morning and my stomach is growling!
    Love the photos. You should take portrait shots of people. You have a way of capturing faces. You ARE dangerous. Now you can say Capture, frame, shoot and hang! Very very dangerous!

Hahahaha… It’s cool to introduce myself as “danger” is my middle name 😉 I have no confidence of portraits yet and even street photography without human elements can be quite daunting at times. I will need a couple of drinks to “unleash” the thick skin, lol… If you love mangoes, Bangkok is for you. That mango was 40-50 baht, slightly over 1 loonie.

• Laura Lynn says:

Yum…I also rub mango skin on my face (the wet, pulpy side) and let it dry. It has enzymes that eat away all the dirt and bad oil. Leaves my face sooooo soft and clean.

Practice portraits. You have a gift for faces and you’re not afraid to talk to people. I love your shots of people.

Oh, i must try the mango therapy but i usually do not eat tropical fruits much. i hear banana skin (inside) is good for whitening teeth. tried once but not enough to determine it. Thanks Laura, i will try to take more portraits next time 😀 I’m brazen already by your encouragement, lol…

4. daniellajoe says:

I love people watching too, you wonder what stories that guy could tell…

5. audreyyoung7 says:

Oh, I love Thai mangoes! This makes me so envious.

6. All the pictures make me miss home! All my favorite stuff.

We cannot get the octopus sticks anywhere in Singapore. So many food that I missed out this round. Will have to go back again to visit the floating market, I heard there’s a lot of good food there too 😀