Gingko Barley Dessert 腐竹白果薏米

I was given a free, hot nutritious Chinese dessert when I had my manicure.Can you guess what I am having?

I was given a free, hot nutritious Chinese dessert when I had my manicure.
Can you guess what I am having?

Barley Gingko Dessert 腐竹白果薏米.

Barley Gingko Dessert 腐竹白果薏米.

This is the finished look of the dessert.

This is the finished look of the dessert.

Eat it hot or chilled. I like it hot.

Eat it hot or chilled. I like it hot.

Gingko Barley Dessert 腐竹白果薏米
Ingredients: (serves 6 to 8)
60g Pearl Barley (洋薏米 – I used Ayam brand), rinsed a few times under running water.
2 litres Water, more if necessary.
5 Pandan Leaves, washed and knotted (optional).
100g – 200g Dried Beancurd Sheets (腐竹 – for dessert not the type used for braising pork trotters or chap chye).
1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate Soda, optional (omit if you don’t like using it but the soup will not be milky).
200g fresh Ginkgo Nuts (白果, comes unshelled. Discard bad ones – you can tell that they are overly dehydrated, change in colour or turned powdery). Or you may buy canned ones and use the amount according to your taste.
1 – 2 Eggs, beaten, optional.
Quail Eggs, hardboiled, 2 – 3 per person (optional).
150g rock sugar (冰糖), or according to your taste .

Method:
1. Crack open the gingko nut shells with a mortar & pestle and soak in water. Peel off the skin with a toothpick and split the nuts into halve. Remove the “heart” a tiny stem inside the nuts. This is bitter and some say poisonous (not verified). To keep the nuts whole, just insert a toothpick to flick out the dirt in the center of the “fatter” part of the nut. You can prepare this step one day earlier (even a couple of days and refrigerate till needed, remember to rinse again before using).

2. Soak half the portion (100g) beancurd sheets in a large bowl of water with 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda (BS) till soft, around 30 minutes. Throw away water and rinse well (in a colander under running water). If not using BS, just soak 150g in water till soft about 5-10 minutes and rinse well and drain.

3. Put prepared soy beancurd sheets and fresh gingko nuts and the 2 litre water in a pot and boil for 30 minutes over medium low flame.

4. Add barley and pandan leaves, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes or until the barley is soft. The soup should be like soybean milk. If you did not use BS, the soybean sheets would just looked broken and the soup clear. Stir a few times during cooking.

5. Once the barley is bloated and gingko nuts softened, add rock sugar to taste. Discard pandan leaves.

6. When the sugar is fully dissolved, stir in the beaten eggs to make egg ribbons over medium high flame.

7. Add in the shelled hard boiled quail eggs if using. Serve hot or chilled.

Happy cooking 🙂

Comments
17 Responses to “Gingko Barley Dessert 腐竹白果薏米”
  1. Lignum Draco says:

Hmmm, how do you eat and get a manicure at the same time? 🙂

2. Janet Rörschåch says:

They give you treats when you get a manicure? That’s amazing! Occasionally we might have a glass of wine served, but never food. Looks like you enjoyed your treat.

Actually, the desserts came from the shop across the manicurist. She called to shop to give me some soybean curd (sweet type) to try and I was speaking to the young owner of the organic soybean shop. She came by after a while and gave me this gingko nut dessert, lol… It was so good it reminded me of the days I used to cook them twice weekly. There is a lot of nutritional value in this dessert if you care to google each ingredients used. 😀

3. Laura Lynn says:

Love the smiling face! That must be a good dessert! I have been canning peaches and tonight I made peach jam with vanilla. Very tasty over ice cream-but not very healthy…

Nothing in moderation is unhealthy 😀
      Are you going to do a post on how to can fruits? It would be great!
      Live it up girl, we deserved it!

4. You look thrilled in your picture! This would be a pretty smart move by the manicurist if she serves Tong Sui to each of her customers. I’d so go.

Tong sui is from opposite shop, young Chinese nationale girl, very enterprising. Her organic soy themed cafe just started and she doesn;t mind dishing freebies to the manicurist’s customers. Smart move! I fell in love with quite a number of her food on the menu and has been singing praises to my friends since. They’ve also start patronising her cafe.

• Organic dessert shop? That’s rare isn’t it, for sg? Good to see the organic movement is going to south east Asia. My parents always complain about how hiked up organic food prices are compared to conventional in Malaysia

Yes organic movement started decades ago but the “pricey” tag deterred average Sgp from buying but nowadays, it’s quite common. The question is how organic is organic?

5. Jessica says:

Looks yummy! And how fun to eat it while getting a manicure! 😀

6. Teo Ai Li says:

Hi, I added BS to all the beancurd but the soup is not milky at all. What could have happened? Thanks

Hi Ai Li,
      Did you buy the right kind of bean sheet and soaking time till softened or your BS could have lost its potency? I cannot think of anything else except for these points.