Sun Kissed Aglio Olio a la Valerie
Click on the photos below for instructions.
Aglio Olio Recipe (serves 3-4)
500g Spaghetti (Fusili).
80-100ml Italian Olive Oil, enough to saute the garlic and chillies.
6 cloves Garlic, finely chopped (more or less to your desire).
6 Red Birdseye Chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (more or less to your desire).
Salt, to taste.
Hot Chilli Flakes, a few dashes to your desire.
½ cup – roughly chopped Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, optional.
Freshly grated/shredded Parmesan, as much as you like or omit.
1. Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions. Remove from the heat and drain the pasta, leaving about 100-125ml of pasta liquid behind.
2. When the pasta is almost ready (about 5 minutes before the stipulated time on package), heat 80ml of olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the garlic, birdeye’s chillies and later the hot chilli flakes.
3. When the garlic and chillies mixture are fragrant, add the pasta and liquid into the pan.
4. Return the pan to medium-high heat and add parsley, if using, and a little more olive oil, if necessary.
5. Keep tossing the pasta. The pasta water and oil will emulsify and coat the spaghetti.
6. Adjust salt to taste and sprinkle with parmesan and more chilli flakes before serving.
Happy eating 🙂