Claypot Chicken Rice 砂煲鸡饭 (Recipe)
Claypot Chicken Rice
Recipe (serves 2-4)
500g Chicken, cut to small pieces (bone-in preferred or boneless thigh/breast meat).
5 Dried Shitake Mushrooms, reconstituted and shredded (reserve soaking water).
1 Lap Cheong (Chinese waxed sausage/腊肠), soaked in hot water for 5 minutes before removing wax covering, sliced diagonally.
10g Salted Fish, diced (dried or bottled in oil). Pan-fry the salted fish with a 1-2 teaspoons oil till kitchen stinks and fish is slightly crisp and golden. Remove from pan, cool and dice. Reserve the oil for rice later.
1 small bunch Mustard Green (Chye Sim, Choy Sum), washed, trim ends and cut into sections.
2 cups Thai Jasmine rice (or any long grain old crop rice).
2 cups water + 1 cup water of strained mushroom soaking liquid.
Pinch of Salt.
Marinade for Chicken and Mushrooms:
1 teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce (老抽).
1 teaspoon Sugar, optional.
1-1½ tablespoon Oyster Sauce (蚝油).
1 tablespoon Ginger Juice (grate some ginger, gather the pulp and squeeze for juice).
1 tablespoon Hua Teow Chiew (绍兴酒).
1 teaspoon Seasame Oil (麻油).
1-2 teaspoon Cornflour.
Few dashes of White Pepper Powder.
Marinate the chicken and mushrooms with the above for half an hour. Can be prepared hours or 1 day ahead and keep in fridge. Remove from fridge an hour earlier and let it come to room temperature before cooking.
Garnishing and Dipping sauce (all optional):
Chopped Scallions and Cilantro Leaves.
Finely shredded Ginger.
Red cut chillies or
Sambal Belachan Chilli.
1. Wash rice till water runs clear and drain dry.
2. Put washed and drained rice together with the pinch of salt in claypot. Pour in the 2 cups water and 1 cup mushroom soaking liquid.
3. Bring water to the boil then lower heat and cover claypot with lid. Simmer rice until it is almost cooked, about 8-10 minutes.
4. When the water reaches the level of the rice grains and steamholes appears, arrange the marinated chicken, mushrooms, sliced Chinese sausages and salted fish in layers neatly over the rice. DO NOT pour the excess marinade over rice.
5. Drizzle ½ tablespoon oil along the walls of the clay pot so that the rice can form a nice crust, if you like. Otherwise omit this step.
6. Cover the claypot and simmer over very low heat for another 20-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked (meat has turned white).
7. Add the vegetables and cover with lid and cook a further 1-2 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat and allow the residual heat of the claypot (lid intact) to cook the vegetables for another 5 minutes before serving.
9. To serve: Squirt a few drops of premium dark soy (thick caramelised and very slightly sweet type, ask grocer if not sure) and 1 teaspoon of cooked groundnut oil (cooked oil means oil that has been heated till almost smoking but NOT smoking). Garnish and serve hot with dipping sauce.
Happy cooking 🙂