Don’t Mess With My Tutu! 嘟嘟糕

The name Kueh Tutu comes from the “tutu” sound the steaming holes make when the cakes are ready.

Kueh Tu Tu1©BondingTool

Coconut and Peanut fillings…

Kueh Tutu is traditional Singaporean snack used to be sold in pasar malam (night bazaar). Nowadays, you may find them in kopitiams and food courts in shopping malls. The prices have gone up exorbitantly due to inflation, elevating its value from cheap street food to “classy” delicacy.

Kueh Tu Tu2©BondingTool

The white tub contains toasted white rice flour.

The kueh itself is rice flour filled with either ground peanut & sugar or dessicated coconut cooked in “red” more like orange sugar, although some vendors use palm sugar which gives the coconut a golden brown colour.

Kueh Tu Tu3©BondingTool

What’s your flavour? Dessicated coconut cooked in palm sugar?

Kueh Tu Tu4©BondingTool

Or ground roasted peanuts with sugar?

Kueh Tu Tu5©BondingTool

Yeah, I think peanut tastes good too but my personal favourite is the coconut!

Kueh Tu Tu6©BondingTool

One for you and one for me 😀

Cooking method involves rapid steaming of the flour and chosen filling. Once ready, the Kueh Tutu is placed individually on pre-cut pandan leaves to add fragrance to the steamed cakes.

Kueh Tu Tu7©BondingTool

Kueh Tutu are usually sold in 3s.

Kueh Tutu

These had coconut fillings.

Traditional Kueh Tutu Mould is made of aluminium and can be hot to handle. They have plastic ones now.

Traditional Kueh Tutu Mould is made of aluminium and can be hot to handle. They have plastic ones now as seen in picture above.
Photo credit: Google Images.

If you are interested in trying your hand at Kueh Tutu, please visit Ellena’s site: http://www.ellenaguan.com/2012/06/kueh-tutu-aka.html

If you want to buy a Kueh Tutu mould, visit this site: http://www.kitchencapers.net/onlineshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=878

Happy tutu-ing 🙂

Comments
11 Responses to “Don’t Mess With My Tutu! 嘟嘟糕”
  1. BeWithUs says:

I am always fascinated by the making of this kueh…I don’t really mind standing at the stand/store seeing the aunties/uncles making it…Thanks for sharing~ Cheers!! 😀

Lol… I was so crazy I bought the steamer (custom made). Never use it at all. Stove fire not big enough. When taking shots of these pictures, I was actually quite brazen as I did not even buy a single piece (just had dinner). Just stand there snapping away :p

• BeWithUs says:

Wow…you actually have the steamer? Cool~ 😀

The shop owner must have thought you are a food reporter then…lol… Cheers!! 😀

2. Babe says:

@Sam Han, hi would you want to sell your steamer by any chance ? Would appreciate a reply very much, thanks!

I have lost it when I moved house.
      You can try asking if they sell:
      1. Ailin @ 845 Geylang Road, #01-48, Tanjong Katong Complex, Telephone: 6743-2693;
      2. SunLik @ 33 Seah Street, Telephone: 6338 0980. Price: S$18.00/mould

• Babe says:

oh how unfortunate. I know they sell the mould at the shops you mentioned. Did you purchase your steamer there? If not, perhaps you could let me know where yours was purchased and I could ask there. Thanks,

No, I bought them from my cooking class teacher more than 10 years ago. I think she got one of those hardware shop that custome make hawker utensils. Ask these shops if they have the contact or if they can order/customise for you. Their supplier of the moulds may know where to get the steamer.

3. Babe says:

Thank you Sam. I will ask if they do know of a supplier. Appreciate your helpfulness. Warm Regards,

Sorry I can’t help you much. I tried to ggogle but only came up with these. I know the shops that customised these type of items are those that makes aluminium utensils. I’m asking around and if I have any lobang will update you. Are you looking for commercial style (like push carts in malls) or for home use?

• Babe says:

Hi Sam really appreciate it. No just home use. I think the containment of the steamer helps with the consistency also of the kueh tutu. I made some today, I don’t know how to upload an image here to your site but you can see it on my FB page if we connect. If you are interested I’d be happy to connect – my profile name is Nonya On Line in FB. Best regards.

My facebook link is on my blog but to make it easier for you, here the link https://www.facebook.com/bondingtool