Liebster Blog Award
First and foremost, I would like to thank Victor from Learn Adapt Conquer for nominating me, on the 23rd February 2013, for the Liebster Blog Award, where new bloggers are discovered. I am truly excited about this nomination coming in so quickly after being nominated by Mike from The Eye Dancers recently for Very Inspiring Blogger Award. On 14th March 2013, Robert from Yelling Quietly, also nominated me for Liebster Blog Award. Thus, I am ever more grateful with their stamp of confidence and am all the more encouraged to receive this award. I have learnt in life not to question too much when good things come your way… Carpe diem! Enjoy them while they last 😀
In our hectic lifestyle, it is difficult for people to find time for each other. Many are looking but not seeing; speaking but not talking; hearing but not listening. I sincerely wish and daringly hope to inspire and promote meaningful communications among family members and friends through the breaking of bread, sharing of salt and common dipping into a bowl.
Second but in no way the least, I want to Thank You, my fellow bloggers, for your kind comments and support in giving me (a newbie) a chance to continue to express myself and share with you my food and culture. I am very happy to hear of successful kitchen adventures; Jalal from mysuccessisyoursuccess for trying out recipes and giving feedback. When Michael Coorey from Alien-Heartbeat and Vicky Nanjappa from Vicky Nanjappa asked me for recipes, I was ecstatic and dived right into it instantly! I feel I should share this same enthusiasm in accepting the goodwill of those who have nominated me. Nothing is special until you create and put value to it. It is your excitement that make someone, something or some days a little more special than others. Thank you Victor and Robert, for making blogging this post a little more special to me!
Here are the details and rules for this award:
1. When you receive the award, you post 11 random facts about yourself and answer 11 questions from the person who nominated you.
2. Pass the award onto 3-11 other blogs (link or let them know you’ve nominated them) and ask them 11 questions.
3. You are not allowed to nominate the blog who nominated you!
4. Make sure the blogs you chose have 300 or LESS followers.
What is the “Liebster Blog Award?”
It is an award given to up and coming bloggers, which reputedly started in Germany. “Liebster” is German for “favorite”, so in a way this award is the “favorite blog award” as another blogger put it. You receive this award from a fellow blogger that feels your blog is both worthy & important to them. You are NOT obligated to accept the award or to even pay it forward but if you receive this award, here are the steps to follow.
This image kind of explains it to other bloggers nominated for the award:
With the rules taken care of and out of the way… without further adieu, may I present you with more random me some of which are borrowed from my Very Inspiring Blogger Award:)
11 Random Facts About Me
1) I am a full time mother of 2 beautiful (from a biased mother’s point of view) daughters in their early 20s and both were educated in Melbourne, Australia. Valerie and Vanessa will be reunited with me in Singapore this very night 😉
2) I have been living in several cities since 2004: Bali & Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, Melbourne and have recently moved back to Singapore.
3) I used to do things that lasts 3 day, week, month, year-cycles, I don’t know why. I don’t anymore.
4) I used to suffer from cleanliness OCD and would also bring my own chopsticks wherever I go. There must be a serving spoon for every dish when eating communally. I don’t suffer from that anymore and am a happier person.
5) I am nocturnal and work better during the night. Still am.
6) I loved to cook food in traditional ways that required longer process and manual work but no longer have the time nor luxury to do that since I started living overseas.
7) I am bilingual (Mandarin & English) and speak several Chinese dialects, except my own. It’s a shame, I know.
8) I believe in exclusivity not snobbery. To borrow some words of a fellow blogger, Vikas Yadav: “A person who is everyone’s friend is no one’s friend. When everyone is special to us, no one is. Thus it is exclusiveness which creates beauty in relationships. It creates a Sense of Belongingness. Belongingness and Relationship comes with the idea of Exclusiveness.”
9) I have more guy friends than girlfriends. My closest girlfriends are also the spouses/girlfriends/partners of my guy friends.
10) I have very short attention span and am very forgetful these days (sometimes I forget what I did yesterday).
11) I love bistro Jazz. I was in the school band and used to play the picolo, flute, tenor saxophone, baritone, basically wind instruments but I have no recall of my notes now and I cannot even play a tune on the recorder.
11 Questions Victor has for me:
What is your favorite snack to eat?
Ice cream – I can eat 1 to 2 pints in a go but it has to be Ben & Jerry’s.
What has been your most difficult task or challenge that you’ve had to overcome?
Lack of Consistency.
If you could pick one song or piece of music to represent who you are. What would it be?
“I Wanna Be Free” by the Monkees. Enjoy it here.
Do you have any rituals or superstitions?
No, unless you count traditions. I follow certain Chinese traditions like leaving the lights on the whole night after reunion dinner and no using of sharp objects like scissors or knife on the first day of CNY so all chopping/cutting/clipping has to be done the night before.
What is your greatest fear?
Being penniless and poor health in old age.
What is your absolute goal in life?
Shame to say that even though I have lived to this age, I haven’t figure this one out yet.
What is your favorite movie?
I am not a movie goer but I loved the Alfred Hitchcock TV series that used to be broadcasted weekly in black and white during the 70s.
What is your favorite place?
Are you a morning person or a night owl?
What is your philosophy?
Do unto others what you like them to do for you.
Why do you blog?
My children thought I should stop breathing down their necks and created this for me so here I am and enjoying every minute of it.
11 Questions Robert has for me:
1. When you are driving do you prefer windows or A/C?
Singapore is located about 1 degree 15 north of the equator and thus it enjoys a tropical climate. Due to our geographical location and maritime exposure, Singapore’s climate is characterized by uniform temperature and pressure, high humidity and abundant rainfall. We do not have clear-cut seasons like summer, spring, autumn and winter. The weather is warm and humid all year round. What I meant to say is with relative humidity in the range of 70% – 80% (and low 90%s in the night), a person easily becomes a stinky tofu. What would you recommend with or without A/C?
2. What brought you to WordPress?
Vanessa, my younger daughter.
3. Do you bless people after they sneeze?
Yes, out of common courtesy because nobody (at least none that I know of) dies from a sneeze these days.
4. Are you a morning person?
5. What is a favorite movie of yours?
As I have answered Victor’s question above.
6. Where would you live if you could pick any place?
Home is where the heart is and the laughter of my children is the light of my house. I will go where they go. As for retirement, I would still prefer Singapore because that’s where my root is. My sister and her family moved back to Singapore after years in Georgia, USA. My brother came back from Manila, Philippines. I suppose aging can be a strong trigger for nostalgia 🙂
7. Do you believe in God and/or practice a certain religion?
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven & Earth and in Jesus Christ, His Only Son. Amen!
8. What kind of grades did you make in school?
I was and still am an ordinary student who has more room to improve.
9. What is one of your favorite songs?
Alone Again Naturally by Gilbert O’Sullivan. You can hear it here
10. When I’m riding or driving in a car I lean more towards music than conversation. Are you more for music or conversation?
I am for none. I have driven many 6-8 hours journey from Singapore to Genting Highlands in Malaysia, with my children and cousin asleep in the car. I did not turn on the radio and I did not miss talking. I liked the muffled sound of wind. I enjoyed the sound of silence.
11. Do you believe in true love?
What is true love? There is no more sincerer love than the love of a mother for her children.
Now… Let’s pay it forward! 😀
My nominees are:
Marcus Sam from http://marcussam.com
Konstantine from http://photographymemoirs.com
Mitsuo Tanaka from djinnistardust.wordpress.com
An Ng from http://notwithoutbutter.wordpress.com
Arran Q. Henderson from http://arranqhenderson.com
MWMW from http://quoteawiz.wordpress.com
Cam M. Roberts from http://cammroberts.wordpress.com
Michael Coorey from http://alien-heartbeat.com
Michael Erb from http://meandtheboss2013.wordpress.com
Hui Jun from http://sixaugust.wordpress.com
Freddie Jay from http://freddiejay.me
Vikas Yadav from http://yadavvikas960.wordpress.com
Prodigal Daughter from http://iprodigaldaughter.wordpress.com
Miss N from http://nerdyscribeblog.wordpress.com
Joanna Yahobahne from http://his4glorydotcom.wordpress.com
Kevin Fung from http://fabyeareat.wordpress.com
Scottie from http://27butterflies.wordpress.com
Hizzam Dasthageer from http://hizzamsblog.wordpress.com
Emily and Camilla from http://thehungrylinguists.com
Anarya from http://manishamishra.wordpress.com
Beeseeker from http://beeseeker.wordpress.com
Matt from http://bowlofrecipes.wordpress.com
Shellie from http://paradisefoodie.wordpress.com
Bethany from http://adventuringout.wordpress.com
Kev Ollier from http://kevollier.com
Icingandcake from http://icingandcake.wordpress.com
My 11 questions are:
1. What makes you smile?
2. When was the last time you laugh so hard tears rolled down your cheeks?
3. What was it about? (in relation to question 2).
4. Do you believe in guardian angels?
5. Who do you look up to as a role model on earth?
6. Why? (in relation to question 5).
7. What’s the most common colour in your wardrobe?
8. Do you go for seasonal fashion or classic lines?
9. Cheap or expensive footwear?
10. If you could turn back the clock, at what age of your life would you like to return to?
11. Why? (in relation to question 10).
Seize the Day!
Happy blogging 🙂
On 25th November 2013, Nicole from Short and Sweet Treats also nominated me for Liebster award. Thank you, Nicole.