Bak Kut Teh 肉骨茶 – My Home Recipe
Here’s my take on this dish…
Bah Kut Teh Recipe
1kg Pork/Spare Ribs (my Muslim friends substitute with Chicken and called it Chicku Teh).
1 whole bulb Garlic, bashed lightly (with or without skin, I use skin on).
1 packet Bah Kut Teh Spice (do not tear open the sachet of muslin bag, this bag contains salt).
1 Star Anise.
1-2 teaspoons Black or White Peppercorn (I had black ones in Melbourne).
¼ pinch 5-Spice Powder.
¼ pinch White Pepper Powder.
1 teaspoon *Dark Soy Sauce (only to be added after cooking is done).
1. Wash and scald pork ribs in boiling hot water for 5 minutes.
2. Put all the ingredients (except the *dark soy) in a tall stockpot and fill with 1.5 litres hot water and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour on medium low heat. Skim off excess oil in soup if desired.
3. Remove the sachet of spices. Add the dark soy for colour.
4. If using the optional additions below, just pour the boiling soup onto the golden mushrooms or tang oh and serve with You Tiao and/or steamed Thai Jasmine rice.
5. Serve with some red cut chillies and dark soy sauce for dipping the ribs.
6. Garnish with some chopped Coriander Leaves, if you like.
Enoki Golden Mushrooms
Tang Oh (I think it’s called Broad Leaf Garland Chrysanthemum)
Deep-fried Bean Puffs (Taupok)
Ingredients in 5-Spice Powder:
Star Anise 25%
Happy cooking 🙂